OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index OTR @ 154.ca
Old Time Radio :: Downloads

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Tribute to Vic and Sade by Jack Foster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: A Tribute to Vic and Sade by Jack Foster Reply with quote

A Tribute to Vic and Sade by Jack Foster

Back in the early seventies when the first big wave of old time radio nostalgia was kicking into gear somebody recorded one of the best and most thorough tributes to Vic and Sade ever done, and I might add that it's probably one of the best for any radio program. Gary Owens introduces it and he tells us "Jack Foster" put it together pretty much single-handedly. If you haven't heard it, you might like to give it a try because it was really well planned and contains interviews with all of the surviving cast at that time.

So, why tell you all this? Well sir, it was my good fortune to come into contact with Jack Foster recently and naturally I had a pile of questions about him, his project and anything else he might care to share. Not only was he willing to let me pester him about something that is now over thirty five years old but he assisted in putting together a web page about making the tribute and has included several photos he took personally during his travels. Please check it out here:

http://paulrhymer.net/jackfoster.shtml

Lastly, he was pleased to learn that there is still so much interest in Vic and Sade, and delighted that we care enough to host his files and talk with him about it. So, if you find any of this remotely interesting, you'll find a contact link at the bottom of the page (that links back to the forum here) where you can contact Jack Foster and please let him know you've taken the time to listen to his tribute or read over his page, and of course offer any thoughts or feelings on the subject you might have. I should think he was one of the last people to speak with all the cast on a common theme, and I personally was glad to be able to exchange emails with him as well as give a good ol' pat on the back for a job well done. I hope you can take some time to do the same.

Thanks.

Last edited by Phineus on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:57 am; edited 4 times in total
bingster
Jolly Boy

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A Tribute to Vic and Sade by Jack Foster Reply with quote

I've just finished the third part of the four part tribute, and I have to say I'm in heaven. Mr. Foster has given the OTR collecting community quite a unique gift with this production. Hearing all the behind-the-scenes commentary from the people actually involved is a rare treat, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

And the photos are icing on the cake. How I wish others had the foresight at the time to do this sort of tribute to other shows. Perhaps it's especially fitting that it was done with this particular show, given the fact that so much of it has been lost.

Brilliant stuff!

Very Happy
stinky
Producer

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sweet. Oh, sweetohsweetohsweet. That's fantastic, phineus! Thank you so much.
flavio309
Radio Dialer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just started listening to otr online and it is such a joy and to see and hear some ofthese things ...man what i missed all though years i just listened to the music radio..... thanks
spacehawk
Orchestra Leader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been gearing up mentally to give Vic and Sade a listen and this is a perfect introduction.
fess64
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phinny!!! I've spent the last week searching what i've missed out on these past months....what a treat this is....thanks!!!!
charlie1
Chief Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phineus. I tried the link at the bottom of the page to say thank you to Jack Foster but it told me that they did not wish to receive e-mail. Please, if you can, pass on my thanks and gratitude to him.
fess64
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie1 wrote:
Thanks Phineus. I tried the link at the bottom of the page to say thank you to Jack Foster but it told me that they did not wish to receive e-mail. Please, if you can, pass on my thanks and gratitude to him.

Me too!
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's weird, I didn't even know you could do that. Can you guys send me an email, or each other?

PS. Please check your private messages.
fess64
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phineus wrote:

PS. Please check your private messages.

Thanks Phinny, i was able to send Mr. Foster an email. I've listened to the tribute twice now and have really enjoyed it. All of the actors seemed thrilled to recall their Vic and Sade years. I especially enjoyed Clarence Hartzell describing Uncle Fletchers character (Uncle Fletcher is my favorite character) and Johnny Coons doing the bit characters voices was a hoot.
I was curious, but didnt ask Mr. Foster, as to why he didnt include David Whitehouse (Russell). To me that would be like doing a Jack Benny Program tribute and not interviewing Bob Crosby (we all loved Phil Harris better but i'm sure Bob would have had some stories and i'm sure Mr. Whitehouse could have contributed something).

I enjoyed the tribute very much! Thanks for sharing it Phinny!
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Foster wrote:
(I omitted the young man who played "Russell" during the time Idelson was away in the war, partly because I couldn't find him. But I didn't look very hard.)

I agree, Fessy, that it's a shame the way David Whitehouse is often omitted during V&S discussions but to give Jack Foster due credit he collected all the raw material during a holiday, he was driving (not flying) to meet the interviewees, and given that David Whitehouse didn't continue in radio would have made it very hard to find him back in those days.
fess64
Radio Star
Radio Star

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Foster emailed me back. Here is his response:

Fess--

It's always a pleasure to get a pat on the back. Thanks.

I am amazed at the interest so many people still have in Vic & Sade, although my own enthusiasm has lasted for 71 years, since a car knocked me off my bicycle head-first onto a pavement that proved to be harder than my skull. But these days, most people don't know how to listen to radio drama. (Among many other things.)

Jack Foster

Thanks again Phinny for sharing!
purple45
Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the link at the bottom of the page to say thank you to Jack Foster but it told me that they did not wish to receive e-mail. Please, if you can, pass on my thanks and gratitude to him.

Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to OTR Plus. Unfortunately, however, it pains me to report that Jack Foster passed away four years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: