OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index OTR @ 154.ca
Old Time Radio :: Downloads

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tidiness within the Trading Post
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radar696
Dog catcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katy,

You are reading too deep on that one.

I only mean being careful with items that are copyrighted. Make sure you change the name on the file so it can't easily be searched as in abbreviating words & titles.

This is why so many times you will see zip or rar files with nothing but a series of numbers for a file name. Makes it impossible to tell what the file contains unless you download it.

Nothing we do can be foolproof but we can make it harder for those that want to control us like the BBC.

Radar Cool Cool

It's bigger on the inside.
katydidit
Network Executive

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Clarification Reply with quote

Hi radar and all:

No, I don't think I'm reading too deep at all.

I wanted to make sure it was not assumed that any recent postings by members are "inappropriate".

I really appreciate the fact that you have taken the time to explain "being careful" is in reference to "naming or labelling of threads".

As I said before, it is not a big deal. Just drop a line to a member and make a suggestion.

Thanks radar,

katy

Last edited by katydidit on Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Robin Flack
Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning downloading copyrighted materials. There is a rather grey area concerning American copyright law. It's legal to own an electronic copy of a book (also audio) audio as long as you own the book itself. This is allowed in case you loose the item or it was destroyed. I have several books on file that I lost through storm damage. The electronic file is now my only copy.

It's also perfectly legal to go to any American public library and make a copy of any book there for your own personal usage. A neat little benefit for people who couldn't afford an education, and created by Ben Franklin himself.

Unfortunately, copyright law was not designed with the digital age in mind, and it's a lot easier to reproduce a copy of a work. It's really a big issue, because of the all the grey areas in the law.

Personally, I own or have owned every publication I've downloaded with the exception of public domain items.

Old comics should be allowed to be saved, because their shelf life is less than a standard text. Old comics are literally crumbling newsprint that was intended to be thrown away after a few readings.

Plus, many of these comics will never be released to readers due to popularity of newer issues. People will never want to read old comics... or even know about them... if they aren't saved electronically to encourage an interest in them. I believe people would buy new versions of old comics, but only if they've had a chance to rediscover how good they were.

Last edited by Robin Flack on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
RustyNail
Announcer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, if I in any way contributed to a misunderstanding on the music blog's link to some of the same files, then I do apologize. I peruse those types of blogs quite often myself for additions to my blues collection and I'm glad that they exist.
While I could never and would never speak for the owners/ moderators here, I think the issue is/was simply tiddyness. The nature of a board that almost anything is ok to be posted, is the mess that usually results from same. At some point it gets to be too much of a hassle to sort the desired posts from the undesired posts for individual users (and please don't read anything into undesired posts, I don't mean any particular topic or subject). Then add in the desire to protect the board from unwanted attention (include me as someone who wants smooth sailing, no choppy waters), however well intended, from some people/spider crawlers/organizations, and you get a time-out from Bingster.
This all ties in nicely with the revamp plans that will someday happen here as to sorting, etc. Maybe it's growing pains, maybe just a new color is needed. Cool But this board will come out of this for the better, of that I'm sure.

Rusty
Phineus
Vic and Sadist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can interject a few remarks. New visitors might benefit from this topic...

http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=7143

It doesn't really cover the ten-posts-for-ten-episodes vs all-in-a-thread issue but it might offer some guidance just the same.

>> I really don't see anything that has been shared that is inappropriate.

What "we" see and what "others" see is not always the same thing. Some people imagine all mp3 files are evil incarnate, and some of the older members will recall how we were shut down due to a very self-righteous interpretation of what we are doing here. It's an extremely long and complicated problem - and as a deterent against which we conceal the trading post from google and like crawlers. Once upon a time I wrote a post detailing our views on the subject and outlining some rule-of-thumb policies but darned if I can find it now. The short of it is, though, that while old time radio and public domain audio should be uncontested activities, there are power mongers who lump us in with all sorts of unethical practices and which places our hobby on very murky ground. Whether that's fair or right has no bearing on this issue because that's just the way it is and what we have to contend with.

> there are thousands of forums out there, thousands of reposted material and that just how it is.

Maybe. However, thousands of sites come and thousands of sites go. We, here, try to stave off that sort of transience and provide a permanent, reliable home. To that end, we ask, for example, that nobody link to the shared spot except from within these pages. If people need something or want to offer something, we invite them to ask for or offer whatever they require. We don't compete with others and are happy to recommend other places - flashing dial, zombie astronaut, for example - and goodness knows walt shares hundreds of links for us. The only agenda that I'm aware of is to keep this place friendly and safe, and to ensure it's still here tomorrow.

Note, I think the tidy topic very possibly ties in with the multiple forum topic. There are some very good and very persausive arguements on both sides, and before we commit to anything we really want to give it thorough consideration. After all, we don't want to fix what might not be broken.

And lastly, I hope nobody sees talk about anything that goes on here as any sort of chastisment or a slap on the wrist. Nothing could be further from the truth. If there were anything dramatically wrong, somebody would get in touch with the person through pm or email and ask for some sort of adjustment in conduct, behaviour or posting. That is not the case here. Sometimes, when trends form or things develop, it's just as easy to air it out for all to consider. And who knows, perhaps somebody will be able to justify the trend. So, we talk about it. That's what forums are for, that's what friends do. Nothing more, nothing less.

PS I type too slow.

PPS I peruse those types of blogs quite often myself for additions to my blues collection

Yum.
radar696
Dog catcher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phineus.

At this time I just want to say how nice it is having such a wonderful group of people to visit with each and everyday.

We have all seen how some people can raise havoc and cause problems just because they think it's their right.

We have had very little of that here thanks mostly to the great group we have!

Plus Bingster and Phineus have made it all possible!

Thank you.

Radar Cool Cool

It's bigger on the inside.
Robin Flack
Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think there might be a short term solution to organization that might help and perhaps everyone will agree with.

Simply, avoid flooding the boards with files to trade, or rather take your time sharing. There's really no need to post every thing at one time.

I know a lot of people are casual downloaders in that they like to listen to a series before they download another... often deleting what they don't like and saving their favorites. Then there are a lot of archivers, who like to download several series and trade them later... regardless of whether they listen to them or not.
bestpbx
Empress Carlotta
Empress Carlotta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard about the 10 post for every one dowload. Very Happy Even with 5,000 post, I am WAY behind compared to my amount of downloads.

I think I have downloaded 2 or 3 shows for every post. Embarassed

It is great having a place with the best people ever on the net to come and visit everyday, and it is great to know you can download without getting a bunch of computer destoying stuff.

I will say this and risk the wrath of Phineus, IF you can afford it, please make a donation. If you can't, it is okay. No one will ever know one way or another. He doesn't make it a big deal because he doesn't want anyone to feel obligated and he will probably put a pin in his little bestpbx doll. But, every little bit helps.

No pressures, no worries. My kind of a day.

Sharon Very Happy

(as Madge in "Cabin in the Cotton", 1932)
bingster
Jolly Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww... Bless your heart.

Kidding! Just kidding!

Very Happy

hermes wrote:
It seems to me bieng a real green noob that there's another agenda going on here that I can only sense and get the aftershock from.

Noooo... no agendas. Seriously, that's one thing we try to foster--a completely agenda-free environment. Too many forums are unpleasant because of agendas and ego trips. We just don't do that here. Nothing goes on "behind the scenes," and when changes or decisions are in the offing, members' input is solicited.

Everyone was a green noob at this at one time. We're always asking people to come out of the shadows, and when they do, any criticism should be gentle and constructive. I've always looked upon folks on OTR forums as one happy family living in different rooms of the same house. We may bump into each other in the upstairs hall, but we don't let it get under our skin.

hermes wrote:
I think it rather presumptuous to think that all music links here are reposted from /recisoldies.blogspot.com/, to be honest I had never heard of it till now.

You're probably right. On the internet, stuff gets posted and reposted, and then just for good measure, reposted again. Most of the music originated on that blog, though.

hermes wrote:
PS. I'm glad all my rubbish posts are in the off site section, I think thats the best place for them!

They're not rubbish! Especially the Ambrose post. Wink
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Comments Back Reply with quote

katydidit wrote:

alistener, I didn't hear a thank you for all of those 200 LATW shows that were just posted.

Maybe because I didn't download any of them, nor do I intend to.

I have no interest in them.

I have no problem with all those LATW's being shared, But 1 thread would have made more sense.

Should I make 1399 seperate threads, 1 for each episode of CBSRMT ?

I'd also rather see the search function used more often and reviving older threads.
Like this one is for Twilght Zone http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=2544

A search for CBSRMT brings up 46 threads, Which one has the info I'm looking for ?
RustyNail
Announcer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alistener, I agree completely. An excellent example of long running threads that seem to work fine is:

Westerns Anyone? and BIG Twilight Zone announcement

both have roughly 20,000 views each, with many contributors. And it seems that anything related to the topic is posted to them and not elsewhere, regardless of how much time has passed in-between posts. I don't follow the former but I do get excited when I see the latter come up. Your mileage may vary.
Bluesmouse
Time Lord
Time Lord

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote here for adding to existing long-running threads where possible, it makes things a lot easier than multi-posts for the same show. Except in the case of special circumstances like the BBC SNT threads where it made things clearer to divide the threads by decade. Nothing personal against posters, it just makes things easier to navigate.
BereanMan
Guest Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the idea of trying to keep "like-minded" posts together in one thread. The Twilight Zone thread IS an excellent example. We've been keeping that one going for quite a long time now.

I have seen in other forums where if a person wanted to add to their list of "offerings" they would go back to their original post and EDIT in the newest additions. The thread would not grow too long and with a "THANKS" button, responses could be held to a minimum of relevant comments. Just a thought. (By the way, would I get an email if someone just "edits" their original post?)

I can also see the point about "abbreviating" our external links so as not to arouse anyone else's interests in what we are sharing. I have noticed on more than one occasion that a link to, say, mmm.rapidstink.mom/TheShadowS01E78.rar will get deleted from the server in a heartbeat whereas mmm.rapidstink.mom/TheShdwS01E78.rar will not.

Katy, I have thoroughly enjoyed everything that you have ever shared here and don't you ever stop. And, for what it's worth, I loved your comments.

BereanMan

Last edited by BereanMan on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
alistener
Network Executive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BereanMan wrote:
(By the way, would I get an email if someone just "edits" their original post?)

No
BereanMan
Guest Star

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, well, I guess that shoots that idea down then. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    OTR @ 154.ca Forum Index -> News and Announcements All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: